Wednesday 4 January 2017

Milky Way Sampler quilt along - block 1

I've joined my first quilt along for 2017!

I was super excited when Alyce of Blossom Heart Quilts announced that she was hosting another quilt along in 2017 as I've really enjoyed her 2016 Modern HST sampler. For this year Alyce is hosting the Milky Way sampler quilt along - a sampler quilt featuring a series of foundation paper pieced stars.


For this quilt along I'm planning on using a bundle of fat quarters from the We Are All Stars collection by Cloud 9 fabrics.


I think these prints will be great because they are non-directional, which make life much easier with all the crazy angles, and they read as solids, which will really allow the different patterns to shine. Here's a close up of all the pretty colours.


The first block, Sirius, has now been released. Here's my take on it. Because of the bias edges, I've left the papers in and plan to sew the blocks together while still attached to the paper.


I thought I'd also share how I store my blocks: in a storage container designed for scrapbooking paper. These make great block storage containers as they are square (the usual shape of a quilt block) can fit a 12.5"unfinished block, and are not very deep (which make them really space efficient). They also stack nicely (which is handy if you are like me and have many quilts in progress) and fit easily in several Ikea cabinets.


I'm looking forward to seeing all the different versions of this block.

Kat




No comments:

Post a Comment