Saturday, 8 December 2018

December One Monthly Goal

It's time to set my last One Monthly Goal for the year. As I am sure is the case for many crafters and makers, my goal this month is to complete some handmade gifts.

For my Elm Street Quilts December One Monthly Goal, I'm hoping to finish an economy block quilt for the babies room at the childcare centre that my two youngest have attended. The staff there have done a wonderful job looking after my babies this year after I returned to work and I thought it would be a nice way to thank them.

I've already made about 50 blocks, but have another 50 to go. I'm using fussy cut animal prints and  blenders to make bright blocks that I hope the children who attend the centre will enjoy. Here are a few of my favourite blocks so far.

I'm already thinking that I am going to need to make a second quilt for home. Perhaps that will be my January goal.


Friday, 30 November 2018

Glisten quilt top

Another month has flown by in the blink of an eye. It's hard to believe that we are already up to the last day of November.

This morning I got up super early so I could achieve my One Monthly Goal for November, which was to finish my Glisten quilt top. I managed to get it done a few moments before I needed to rush off to work (which is why it hasn't been pressed).

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it off in the next few days to allow more time for some festive projects.

I'm linking up Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal - November Finish Link-up.


Wednesday, 7 November 2018

November One Monthly Goal

Just a quick post to link up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal  and share my goal for November.

This month, I hope to finish my Glisten quilt top. It's one of my oldest quilting WIPs and currently the one taking up the most amount of storage space. I started it about 3 years ago during a quilt-along (the Glisten-along) and it has been collecting dust in these serving trays ever since.

I've definitely fallen out of love with this project, but I know it will be so good to finally finish it up.


Wednesday, 31 October 2018

A birthday quilt for Rupert

My little man turned 6 last weekend. As has been the tradition for the past few years, I spent the eve of his birthday finishing a handmade gift while my husband baked the cake (we are total last minute crafters).


Rupert is a big fan of all things space at the moment, so this year I made him a small version of the Milky Way sampler. I used prints from the Cloud 9 We Are All Stars collection for the front and a cool solar system print for the back.

We play to hang it on the wall in his bedroom above the bookshelf where he keeps his telescope and space books.

I'm linking up with the Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal finishes, as this project was my goal for October.


Monday, 15 October 2018

2018 finish-along: Quarter 4 proposed finishes

I can't believe we're in quarter 4 already! 2018 has gone by at lightning speed.

At the start of the year my WIP list was over 50 projects long so I set myself a goal of only working on my WIPs (no new projects) in order to try and get that number down to less than 10. While I've been good on the 'no new projects' front, I haven't been able to keep up with my target of 14 finishes per quarter and still have over 30 projects on my list.

So this quarter I am going to try and blitz my WIPs to see if I can at least get my WIP list to under 25 (half it's original size). I've picked 21 of my closest to completion projects, including a selection of Christmassy ones. I've deliberately left out all of my hand-piecing and longer term projects (such as a big selvage quilt).

Here are my first 13 'regular' quilty projects in the works:

And here are the Christmassy projects:

All the details are in my embarrassingly-long WIP spreadsheet. Here's an extract describing each of the pics in the collages.

Here's hoping for a new personal best in productivity!


Sunday, 7 October 2018

October One Monthy Goal

Just a quick post today to link with with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal October Linkup.

My goal this month is to finish the Milky Way sampler quilt I started last year. I've got half the blocks already made so I just need to make 6 more and finish the quilt. I think it would make a nice birthday gift for a space-loving boy who is turning 6 later this month. Luckily his birthday is not till later in the month.


Wednesday, 3 October 2018

Scrappy trip around the world quilt

I finally managed to get some better pictures of the trip around the world quilt I finished in July.
I started this one as part of a quilt-along last year (the #summertripwithme2017) and finished it as part of a similar quilt-along held this year (the #scrappytrip2018).

For my version I made slightly larger blocks, using 8 strips to make 16" finished blocks. I found making bigger blocks was a more efficient use of the strips (almost no wastage), and faster overall, because I didn't need to make so many blocks.

I finished it with a simple diagonal crosshatch in a soft pink thread using my walking foot and hand-sewed the binding. It's already been put into use several times as a backyard picnic rug for my little ones. You can find a few more photos on my original post.

I'm linking up with the third quarter finishes party for the 2018 Finish-along, as this quilt was on my list of proposed finishes for this quarter.