Monday, 24 September 2018

Blue and white baby quilt

My sister is expecting a baby in less than a week and I promised I'd make the baby a few quilts. In my usual fashion I left it way too late to begin (#lastminutecrafter), and so I'm been picking some current works in progress that could be quickly finished up. My sister suggested that navy would be a good colour (her husband is a Geelong supporter), so I pulled out my Sewcial Bee Sampler blocks from last year and have been busy turning them into a baby quilt.

I made a couple of extra blocks to balance out the layout (the blocks have different sized frames) and added some navy blue sashing and borders. Here it is expertly held up by my 5 year old, who is super excited about getting a new cousin.

I quilted it with a serpentine stitch using my walking foot and used a nice blue cross-hatch for the binding.

When I asked my sister if I could make anything for the baby's big sister, she suggested making a matching smaller quilt for her dolly. I chose my favourite block, added a navy blue frame and finished it exactly the same as the larger version.

I tried to get my younger son to hold up the mini quilt for me, but he wasn't having a bar of it.

He did test out the baby quilt for me though.

The quilts have now been through the wash and are currently drying outside. I'm hoping to get them in the post tonight. Luckily we have some good drying weather today.

I'm linking up with the quarter 3 finishes party of the 2018 Finish-along, as this project was one of my proposed finishes for this quarter.


Saturday, 8 September 2018

September One Monthly Goal

The months are rolling by really quickly and it's already time to link up my Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal for September.

We moved house a couple of months ago but with three little ones and full-time jobs, unpacking is going really slowly. I'm setting up a new sewing space bit by bit and it's slowly starting to come together. I'm hoping to have it fully set up by the end of the month so my goal for September is to finish a project I've had on the go for ages; some fabric baskets to organise my smaller pieces of fabric.

I've made a prototype using my aqua scraps (using a modification of the sturdy fabric baskets by Lillyella), but still need to make another 14 or so. I've started making the patchwork panels for the next batch, and have been really enjoying the improv QAYG technique.

The next step will be a trip to Spotlight (the Aussie version of Jo-Ann's) for some more extra firm interfacing. I wonder how many other items I'll come out with :)