Tuesday, 17 July 2018

Quarter 3 finish-a-long goals

Just a quick post tonight (as we move house tomorrow!) to link up my proposed finishes for quarter 3 of the 2018 finish-a-long.

Here's the extract from my WIP spreadsheet (the pics start in the centre, then go clockwise starting from the top left.

Last quarter I only managed to finish four quilts, and all of them were small ones, so this quarter I a hoping to finish a few bigger projects. On the top of my list is m scrappy trip around the world quilt that I am working on at the moment.

As always, I'm listing quite a few to keep my options open - I really don't expect I'll finish a project a week :)


Monday, 9 July 2018

Farmer's Wife mini quilt

It's school holidays at the moment and my older son has been spending a bit more time with me in the craft room. While he's not quite ready to learn to sew, he is full of suggestions for what I should sew next. One of his suggestions was a quilt for his little sister's dolly.

I have a big pile of half finished projects and a long list of proposed list of finishes for quarter 2, so it was very easy to put together a little dolly quilt.

These blocks were made about 2 years ago as part of a Farmers Wife quilt along I joined but quickly fell behind in. I think one of the reasons I ran out of enthusiasm is that I approached the blocks without any plan for the colours or style, and found that they weren't working well together.

I do love sampler quilts though and may even try the Farmer's Wide sampler again one day. But not before I fulfilled a few more sewing requests from my little guy, including a new pair of space pajamas.


DS mini quilt

A few weeks ago one of my quilty instagram friends, Andrea, suggested that we do a Denyse Schmidt fabric swap. I'm a big fan of swapping prints - it's a great way of add variety to your stash without adding more volume, and is much more economical.

Andrea needed extra prints for her Tula Pink City Sampler that she is sewing up at the moment, and had extra of quite a few prints that I didn't have, so we each filled a small satchel of DS goodies for the other. I thought it would be fun to make a little swap extra so I turned my scrappy DS star kisses block (from last year's honeypot bee) into a little mini quilt for her.

This project was on my list of proposed finishes for this quarter. I had intended to make a whole lot more of these blocks (they are great scrapbusters) and turn them into a larger quilt, but decided that it was not likely to happen this year. I may end up making a bigger quilt in the future, but for now my scraps get to survive another day and I get to cross another WIP off my list.

These are the delicious prints she sent my way.

I'm looking forward to seeing Andrea's quilt come together, and to someday getting back to my other DS WIPs (yes, I have more than one project on the go using DS fabric).


Saturday, 7 July 2018

July One Monthly Goal

I'm linking up with the Elm Street Quilts July One Monthly Goal and setting my goal for July. This month my goal is to finish my not-so-scrappy trip around the world quilt that I started last year.

The fabric I'm using is mostly from a jelly roll of Color Me Happy by V and Co, with a few other prints from her other collections mixed. Last year I managed to make a total of four blocks.

I'm hoping to get another four finished this weekend (in amongst packing boxes because we're also moving house this month). I've got my strip sets sorted and ready to sew.

Wish me luck! :)


July ARTastic challenge

It's been a while since I shared any papercrafting projects but I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things, starting with this month's ARTastic challenge. The challenge for July is to make a project inspired by the following artwork by Roger Kemp, and to also use pen.

I was inspired to by the colour pink to make a pocket page featuring some photos of my daughter on her first birthday.

I used a pen to outline some of the elements (including the hand-cut "1") and to add the journalling. It's amazing to see how much she has grown in just a year. As you can see from the layout below (that I made earlier but forgot to share here), she was such a tiny little angel.

As promised in my last post, here's a look at the quilt that I finished up for her first birthday (one of the projects from my quarter 2 list of proposed finishes).

Given that it seems to take me a year to finish a quilt, I had better get started on the one for her second birthday :)


Frances Firefly quilts

I'm a little bit behind in sharing some of my recent finishes on my blog but now that the quarter 2 finishes linky for the 2018 finish-along is open, I thought I'd better catch up.

Two of the projects on my list of proposed finishes for quarter 2 were a pair of Frances Firefly quilts for my little ones. I started them last year, hoping to have them done before they were born. However, the angled piecing proved to be too much for my late-pregnancy baby-brains and I abandoned the projects in favour of simpler quilts.

This year I managed to get them finished at about 11pm the night before their first birthday.

These quilts were made from the Frances Firefly pattern by Elizabeth Hartman and a jelly roll from her paintbox basics collection. I love making them coordinating items from the same collections in different colourways (as you can probably tell from their mum-made rompers).

Here's a full shot of the one I made for my little man, Gregory.

I'll share a full shot Harriet's one in my next post.