Sunday 8 April 2018

Bonnie and Camille log cabin quilt

A couple of years ago I participated in a Bonnie and Camille log cabin block swap with some fellow Aussie B+C fans. At the end of the swap I had 48 10" log cabin blocks and no idea what to do with them. They sat in one of my WIP boxes of shame, and despite being part of my proposed list of finishes for several finish-alongs, I never managed to finish this project.


This year I committed to working through my WIP, working on one project at a time until finished. Because this quilt was quite close to being finished (with all blocks made) it made it onto my first quarter list of proposed finishes. When the time came to work on this WIP, I was pleased to find that it came together quite quickly.


At first I was a bit unsure about going with a bold blue for the sashing (I was tempted to use my usual white), but I am so glad that I did. I love the way it contrasts with the pretty pinks and reds and really lets the colours shine. It also matched really well with a Miss Kate flannel that I used for the backing.


I kept the quilting really simple; just a few straight lines with my walking foot along the sashing strips and an extra line of quilting through the middle of each block. 


Over the Easter long weekend I took the quilt out into the wild (and by the wild, I mean the local park) for some photos. It was a bit too windy for whole quilt shots but we did find a nice big log to drape it over.


It's now been washed and dried and put on the bed, ready to snuggle under tonight. 


I love that most of the blocks have bee made by my quilty friends and contain lots of prints I don't have in my stash. I have a feeling this will become one of my favorite quilts.

Kat





1 comment:

  1. Yay for B & C swappers! It's a fabulous quilt. I can see why it will be a favorite! On behalf of the Finish-A-Long crew, congrats on the finish and thank you for joining in!

    ReplyDelete