Saturday 5 January 2019

Checker block charity quilt

Another 2018 finish I haven't yet shared is a checker block quilt I made as part of one of my 2018 quilting bees.

Our bee was made of 8 quilters from Australia and New Zealand and at the start of the year I suggested that we use some of our spare months to make quilts for charity. For our September project, I asked the bee members to make checker blocks in blues, greens and low volumes, using prints that would be suitable for a teenage boy. These were the sample blocks I put together.


I received 16 fabulous blocks from my bee mates and had a great time playing around with the different layout options.


I finished the quilt using an allover boxy stipple and some classic black and white striped binding (my favourite kind of binding).


For the back I used the IKEA number print - another favourite of mine and great for a teenage boy.


We donated the quilt to the Very Snuggly Quilts program, who give quilts to long term patients at the Royal Children's Hospital. The VSQ program often struggle to find enough quilts for older boys , so one of my 2019 goals is to make and donate more quilts for this group.


I'm linking up with the Q4 finish-along, as this project was on my list for quarter 4.

Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment