Sunday 19 February 2017

Amy's birthday bag

I have a terrible habit of leaving things to the last minute, and despite frequent vows to be more organised, often find myself making presents for people the day before (or day of!) their birthday.

Today was no exception. Despite knowing about my friend's birthday celebration a couple of months ago, I still left it to a few days ago to start making her present. Last year I made her a zipper pouch so this year I wanted to take it up a level and make her a bag. I also wanted to have a go at making some improv wonky log cabin blocks (this week's prompt for the Elm St Quilts play QAL) so I thought I would combine the two projects.



I ended up making four improv blocks in different Cotton and Steel prints and them sewing two blocks together to make the panels for the bag.


I used a grey Robert Kaufman Essex linen blend solid for the tops and bottoms of the panels and quilted the patchwork in 'organic' wavy lines (= a super quick quilting design).


I used the wide tote pattern from Elizabeth Hartman's Perfect Quilted Totes pattern, but make a few adjustments to accommodate the bigger patchwork panel. I've made the taller version of the pattern before but this time I was braver and had a go at installing the magnetic snap. I was pleased to find it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be :)


I finished the bag this morning, just in time to get a few quick photos before it started to rain.


I think it turned out quite nicely, despite being a total last-minute job. I even had enough time to make a handmade card before heading off to the party.

I've now got exactly two weeks until the next birthday. Hopefully I am more organised this time a don't leave it until the last few day.

Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment