Friday, 16 June 2017

A quilt for Leila

Last night I received the wonderful news that my friend has given birth to a little girl. It reminded me that I still need to finish the quilt for the baby and that I hadn't shared the quilt that I made for her elder daughter using prints from the Underwater collection by Elizabeth Olwen for Cloud 9 Fabrics.

After lots of uhming and ahing over which pattern to use I ended up choosing a modified version of Elizabeth Hartman's New Wave pattern. The quilt top came together quite quickly once I had cut the pieces. I'd recommend using an acrylic wedge template if you have one - I made a template from template plastic (as per the instructions) and kept accidentally trimming my template and having to make another one.

To keep the quilt nice and soft I opted for minimal quilting and just added some free-motion back and forward lines along the white sashing strips.

I finished the quilt with some navy blue binding (I think dark colours are a better choice for toddler quilts) and then took it to the park for a few quick photos in the sandpit.

I love how it turned out and am tempted to make myself a larger version - once I have obtained a proper acrylic template!


No comments:

Post a Comment