Thursday 18 May 2017

A quilt for Oliver

Today I'm sharing a quilt that I made for a friend's baby who was born last week (this quilt was also on my list of proposed finishes for the second quarter of the 2017 finish-a-long). I didn't really have a fabric collection or pattern in mind for this quilt so I thought I'd take the oppourtunity to try something a little different. After lots of deliberation (i.e. procrastination), I ended up going for an improv wonky tumbling block quilt in a combination of blue, teal, mustard and grey.


Pulling the fabric for this quilt was quite challenging - I tend to work with complete collections or monochromatic prints, but this time I wanted to have a go at including a few multi-colour prints. I got there in the end and was quite happy with my fabric choices (I definitely need more practice at working with multicolour prints).


For the cutting and construction, I followed a method very similar to the Jumbler quilt tutorial by the Sewing Chick, except that I cut each piece in a tumbler shape (rather than including shapes closer to rectangles and parallelograms). I was quite relaxing not having to worry about lining things up precisely and came together quite quickly.


I went for minimal quilting to keep it soft and cuddly (just some organic wavy lines along the horizonal seams) and bound in a navy blue solid.


For the backing I used a print from the Biology collection by Sarah Watson for Cloud 9 fabrics - one of my all-time favourites.


I gifted it to my expecting friend over the Easter long weekend, along with a couple of other baby quilts I had made recently (I figure a baby needs at least 3 quilts). The sweet little guy arrived last week and I can't wait to meet him.

Kat



1 comment:

  1. I love the colour combo you chose for this baby quilt! Very cute finish. On behalf of the global FAL hosts, thank you so much for playing along with us this quarter!

    ReplyDelete