Wednesday 9 October 2019

Low volume plus quilt

My next finish from my list of proposed finishes for quarter 3 of the 2019 Finish along is my low volume plus quilt.


One of my goals for this year is to step outside of my comfort zone and experiment with different backgrounds and multicoloured prints. I started this project as a way of getting comfortable with colourful low volume prints that were a bit bolder than my preferred 'light grey on white' low volumes.


I wasn't sure about the first few blocks I made, thinking that the background was too busy. But as the quilt grew in size, it grew on me, and by the time I had made 64 blocks I was in love with it.


When I showed my husband my blocks up on the design wall to ask his opinion of the layout, his first reaction was that there was an overwhelming amount of pink. So for the back I decided to make four extra large (40" finished) plus blocks in some more manly colours.


It's now a family favourite with it's 'girl side' and 'boy side'.


My daughter is much better at posing for quilt photos than her twin brother. :)


I love the interest that the bolder prints add and have now got several more quilts using colourful low volumes on the go.

Kat

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the finish! This is a gorgeous quilt. I too have trouble venturing away from my very subtle low volume backgrounds.
    Seeing what you have done makes me want to go and give it a try! On behalf of the entire FAL crew, thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the finish! This is a gorgeous quilt. I too have trouble venturing away from my very subtle low volume backgrounds.
    Seeing what you have done makes me want to go and give it a try! On behalf of the entire FAL crew, thanks for participating!
    متخصص وکالت تهران

    ReplyDelete