Monday 1 October 2018

Fabric storage trays

I finally got around to finishing up a project that has been on my 'to-do' list for a long time; some fabric trays for store my smaller pieces of fabric (fat eighths etc.)


I'd been on the hunt for a while for pre-made trays that would fit nicely on the shelves where I store my fabric. When I wasn't able to find anything suitable, I decided to make my own, using a great tutorial for making custom-sized sturdy fabric baskets by Lillyella Stitchery. I made a prototype in late 2017, but then the project sat on the backburner for a long time.


Over the past month or so I've been making some QAYG panels for the remaining trays and finally finished them up over the weekend. I'm too embarrassed to admit exactly how badly I fluffed these up. Let's just say that I wasn't supposed to quilt my fabric directly onto the interfacing. But it was a good exercise in creative problem solving and another reminder why it's not a good idea to start a project and then leave it a year before picking it back up again.


They are a bit dodgy in places, but I'm a big believer in 'finished is better than perfect' and think they don't look too bad sitting on the shelf (there's raw edges hiding underneath).


They also do the job they were designed for, which is organise my bits of fabric so I can easily pull out a colour when I'm hunting for prints for a bee block etc.


I'm linking up with the Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal September link-up and the quarter 3 finishes linky party for the 2018 Finish-along, as this project was on my list of proposed finishes for this quarter was was my specific goal for September. Now I need to decide which of my long-term projects I'll tackle next month.

Kat


3 comments:

  1. Those look fabulous and what a pretty fabric storage area! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilt One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! They look so awesome! I really love them! <3
    Greetings from Germany!
    Rike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! They look way better than my plastic green totes!

    ReplyDelete