Tuesday 18 April 2017

A quilt for Granny

Earlier this year my husband suggested that we should make a quilt for his mother. I was reluctant to make a quilt for her (mostly because she and I have completely different tastes in colour and the fact that I am 7 months pregnant with twins), but my husband offered to pick the fabric and do all the basting.

True to his word, my husband made all the fabric selections. He choose a layer cake of Mon Ami by Basic Grey that I had in my stash and even took a trip to Spotlight to pick up the background and backing fabric.


Because it needed to be done in a hurry I chose a super simple design similar to a granny square. It only took a couple of days of cutting and chain piecing to put the quilt top together.


My husband did an awesome job of pin-basting (and I made a mental note to outsource this step more often in the future).


For the quilting I experimented with some free-motion clam shells. As expected, quilting a queen-sized quilt on a domestic machine while heavily pregnant is hard work!


The weather in Melbourne has been a bit crappy so we had to settle for a quick 'quilts with feet' shot in the park in between rain showers.


It's probably my personal best for making a quilt in record time. It's also my first finish from my list of proposed finishes for quarter 2 of the 2017 finish-a-long!

And I'm definitely going to stick to making baby quilts for the rest of my pregnancy :)

Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment